Sunday May 21, 3 – 5 p.m.
Special Chicago Bauhaus and Beyond Open House:
949 Fisher Lane, Winnetka
- Event hosted by Carol Hunt and Joe Kunkel, Baird and Warner
- Free to CBB current members and their accompanying guest
- We will have a talk with the longtime owner at 3:45pm.
- Refreshments will be served
The Fisher house was designed in 1926 by Walter Fisher’s brother Howard, then an architecture student at Harvard. In the design for this house, which was his thesis, Howard could explore ideas that had been percolating in Europe during the teens and twenties and make them his own.
Walter Fisher, who was an attorney, president of Amalgamated Trust and Savings Bank, and a former chairman of the Illinois Commerce Commission, built his house on family land. Architect Howard constructed his own home on an adjacent piece of property, forming a family compound on the street that still bears the name Fisher Lane. The Walter T. Fisher house looks as wonderfully modern today as it did 50 years ago.
– Info above written by CBB member Susan Benjamin for the Winnetka Historical Society Gazette/website